A while back I shared an infographic from Marketo displaying some very interesting statistics about trends in content marketing. If you didn’t see it, you can check it out here.
The infographic is based on an annual report put out by the Content Marketing Institute, and really gives a great snapshot of the what is going on in the industry.
The statistics basically show that content marketing can no longer be ignored. And if you are ignoring it, you are falling behind the competition.
A Few Interesting Highlights:
- 80% of all internet users go directly to a search engine once online (and search engines display content)!
- 30-40% of search engine users click on the first organic listing in the results!
- 62% of individuals using a search engine click on a result on the first page!
- 77% of search users choose organic over paid listings when searching!
- 67% of search users choose organic search when purchasing!
- 90% of all purchase decisions begin on the internet!
- 92% of shoppers believe information provided online more than information provided by a salesperson or some other source!
- 78% of marketers believe creating content for marketing purposes will be a key to future success, but only 49% have a content strategy in place!
- 55% of the time people spend online is directly related to consuming content!
- 60% of B2B marketers report that they plan on increasing the amount they spend on content marketing over the next year!
- Content marketing takes up 26% of the overall marketing budget for B2B marketers!
So What Does This Mean?
There’s some good news and some bad news. But for you…it’s mostly good news.
The stats show that most businesses and marketers recognize the importance of using content to promote the business going forward. More than half of the marketers surveyed actually plan on increasing their spending on content.
But here’s the thing that really stands out to me: only 49% have a content strategy in place!!!
That’s less than half!
The bad news here is obvious. People are catching on to the effectiveness of content marketing. And as more and more businesses enter the area of content production, the internet will be overflowing with content competing for viewer attention (as if there isn’t enough already!).
The other bad piece of bad news is that you may not be able to compete with the budgets of many companies that are catching on.
But there is a silver lining. No matter how much you realize that content marketing is effective, and no matter how much money you allocate to it in your budget, you can not be very effective if you have no strategy!
This is the secret ingredient that most companies are missing.
Your Competitive Advantage
Creating content for the sake of creating content may get you some results.
But creating content with an end goal in mind, and a strategy to get there, can put you above the curve.
A good strategy can make your content not only effective in terms of results, but also cost-effective in terms of how many hours and dollars you have to invest.
With that in mind, I created the Strategic Content Launch Pad.
This is a strategy guide that can help you leverage the power of content and blogging to achieve more for your online business presence.
This strategy guide is really geared towards beginner and intermediate marketers who know that they should be creating content to market their business, but may need a little guidance or push in the right direction.